Saturday, November 20, 2010

"One-Eighty Katy"

6:45 AM: Got up for team practice and checked out the weather forecast...
 But Coach Al's motto for the East Bay Run Team is "NO WIMPS!" which translates to "If it's not hailing or thundering, we run."  Today's run out at Oyster Point in San Leandro was rainy, windy and cold, but I layered up and he was right: with the right clothing, it was just fine! 

My journey TO practice, however, was a bit more disastrous.  My family has lovingly nicknamed me "One-Eighty Katy" because I am always 180 degrees off directionally.  This morning was a doozie.  I was meant to drive to Oyster POINT in San Leandro, and instead put Oyster PARK into the GPS.  Oyster Park is apparently nowhere near San Leandro: more specifically, it is on the opposite side of the bay in South SF.

Oops.

Little detour to Treasure Island in the middle of the Bay.  No biggie :-)

 (Can you tell I'm enjoying playing with Paint on my computer?)

Anyway, once I made it to practice, it was a wet and windy run with beautiful bay views.  My teammates are awesome and we stayed for a potluck after practice.  I brought some of these that I whipped up last night:


 Baked Oatmeal Snack Bars.  YUM!

Recipe and photo credits to Kath Younger (an awesome food blogger!).  Check out this really healthy and delicious recipe here:  http://www.katheats.com/?page_id=4681.

Today we ran in honor of Justin-- a member of our team with blood cancer who is currently in the hospital.  It was very moving to pin his photograph onto my jacket and realize "I am so lucky to be out here (horrid weather and all) instead of in the hospital."  Such a great reason to run.

Please help me to help folks like Justin.  http://pages.teamintraining.org/sf/Oakland11/kmerkr.  To those of you who have donated, I thought of each one of you while running.  Many thanks and much love.

Now back to the books-- need to cram in a little more studying before meeting up with the family for Mezza Luna dinner to celebrate ROBBY'S 21ST BIRTHDAY!!!  Cioccolata here I come!



No comments:

Post a Comment